The system requirements for servers are only applicable if you are hosting the i-lign server yourself. Please see our Knowledge Base article on Running i-lign In-house for more details.
For externally hosted deployments, only the client requirements apply.
i-lign is a web-based application and users only require a supported web browser to use most of the features. We have two Java-based client applications - the Gantt Chart (Webstart Application) and our visualisation tool i-Vision - that need the Oracle Java Runtime Environment installed on each user's desktop environment.
We currently test i-lign on the following browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and 9
- Google Chrome - latest version
- Mozilla Firefox - latest version
- Safari 5+ on Mac OS X
Although we do endeavour to make i-lign a standards compliant application that should work in all other modern web browsers as well.
Note: Windows XP users will require Service Pack 3 installed for up to date encryption standards.
Supported Java Runtime Environments (JRE)
We recommend that all customers use Java 6 update 10 or later, as this release contained significant improvements in Java's browser integration. We support the following Java versions on the desktop:
- Oracle Java 6 (version 1.6.0_10 or later).
The latest version of Java can be download from the Java website.
- 64 bit capable hardware running a 64 bit Operating System (see below).
- Application server free disk space: allow 1GB per installed instance.
- RAM: we recommend 2GB free per installed instance, with room to expand if usage increases. Some large or very busy i-lign instances can require 4GB or more memory.
- CPU: 2+GHz multicore recommended.
Application Server Operating Systems
The application server can run on any of the following operating systems:
- 64bit Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2008 R2
- 64bit Linux (we recommend kernel version 2.6.32 or later) *
* We have successfully run i-lign on Red Hat, Debian, and Ubuntu distributions.
In general all but the most demanding i-lign installations will run acceptably on a virtual server provided that the i-lign server can get the memory and CPU resources it needs. We recommend against using memory 'ballooning' or 'bursting' features instead configuring the virtual server to have a fixed amount of RAM.
i-lign requires access to one of the following SQL databases:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or later
i-lign does not include a license for the database software. Each organisation is responsible for the licenses required to run the selected database, and for the installation and maintenance of the database software.
Database space required: The size of the database depends more on usage patterns than on the number of users. For example, extra space is required for more projects and more complex projects, for storing baselines and in particular for storing documents in the document library. Most i-lign databases are between 500 and 2000MB in size.
If i-lign is configured to send email notifications then it will need to connect to a SMTP server that can deliver the notifications to users' mail boxes. No configuration is usually necessary. SMTP is a standard way of sending email that is supported by all mail servers like Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino or Novell GroupWise.