The system requirements for servers are only applicable if you are hosting the i-lign server yourself. Please see our Knowledge Base article on Running i-lign In-house for more details.
For externally hosted deployments, only the client requirements apply.
i-lign 7 Client Requirements (for all deployments)
i-lign is a web-based application and users only require a supported web browser to use most of the features.
These are the browsers we support and recommend for the best experience using i-lign:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 or later
- Google Chrome - latest version
- Mozilla Firefox - latest version
- Safari on Mac OS X - latest version
Other Supported Browsers
We also test i-lign on the following browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 and 10 on Windows 7 or later
We do endeavour to make i-lign a standards compliant application that works in all other modern web browsers as well.
Note: Internet Explorer on Windows XP or Windows Vista is not supported.
i-lign 7 Server Requirements (for in house deployments only)
Application Server Requirements
- 64 bit capable hardware running a 64 bit Operating System (see below).
- Application server free disk space: allow 1GB per installed instance.
- RAM: Minimum 4GB. We recommend at least 2GB free memory per installed i-lign instance, with room to expand if usage increases. Some large or very busy i-lign instances can require 4GB or more memory each.
- CPU: A server with at least 2 CPU cores. 4 CPU cores of at least 2.0GHz preferred.
Application Server Operating Systems
The application server can run on any of the following operating systems:
- 64bit Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012
- 64bit Linux *
* We have successfully run i-lign on Red Hat, Debian, and Ubuntu distributions.
In general most i-lign installations will run acceptably on a virtual server provided that the i-lign server can get the memory and CPU resources it needs. We recommend against using memory 'ballooning' or 'bursting' features instead configuring the virtual server to have a fixed amount of RAM.
i-lign requires access to one of the following SQL databases:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2 or later
i-lign does not include a license for the database software. Each organisation is responsible for the licenses required to run the selected database, and for the installation and maintenance of the database software.
Database space required: The size of the database depends more on usage patterns than on the number of users. For example, extra space is required for more projects and more complex projects, for storing baselines and in particular for storing documents in the document library. Average i-lign databases are between 500 and 2000MB in size.
If i-lign is configured to send email notifications then it will need to connect to a SMTP server that can deliver the notifications to users' mail boxes. No configuration is usually necessary. SMTP is a standard way of sending email that is supported by all mail servers like Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino or Novell GroupWise.